click They’re thinking about it, at least. South Korea is supposedly ready to pass a resolution in September that will create a joint North Korea-South Korea football fan group — and part of that will entail KOR sending 300 fans from PRK to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
follow site Both North and South Korea have already qualified for South Africa 2010, making it the first time the two countries have ever competed in the same World Cup.
rencontre femme 36 Source: Associated Press
Somewhere in between fighting pirates and watching the world crumble through a window in the Oval Office, Barack Obama found the time this week to reach across one cold, choppy aisle, and try to bring some more footy into our lives.
That’s right, everyone’s favorite superhero president sent a letter to FIFA president Joseph S. Blatter requesting that ugly Americans be given another chance to view the beautiful game on their home soil. Preferably in 2018 or 2022.
For the record this is 100% what I too would be doing if I couldn’t solve the financial crisis.
Came across a good soccer podcast — EPLTalk.com. The episode below is more than a year old, but total Football geeks like Sang will find it either intriguingly prescient or at least worthy of vitriolic disagreement and thoughts of riot. The guest is none other than Oliver Tse (a pal of mine from the poker-biz). I had almost forgotten that Oliver, creator of the now-defunct SoccerTV.com, has been following soccer on TV (the business of it, not so much the actual kicking) since the mid-90s (when internet communications were limited to email and usenet groups).
Click here to download/listen to the Oliver episode. On it, you’ll hear him discuss:
- Detailed EPL ratings numbers
- The history of soccer on TV, specifically American TV
- MLS ratings
- The appearance of Budweiser’s Chinese language ads at Old Trafford
- The importance of the American audience for Mexican soccer
- The increasing proliferation of video game tournaments on TV
- EPL’s efforts to reach Asia
- World Cup rights fees in America (exceeding those of the rest of the world)
- Prediction: HD soccer broadcasts coming Christmas 2008? (Maybe 2009)
- The Brazilian soccer channel
- Argentine/Paraguayan/Venezuelan soccer on TV
Damn, that’s a lot of good background info (and data for forward thinkers). And though Soccerati’s new readers may not care, I know any Pokerati tagalongs will find it fascinating that Tse was one of 60 who vote for US Soccer Player of the Year.